14 April 2021
Ahead of the local, regional and devolved UK elections in May 2021, RIA has published five manifestos covering London & the South East, the North of England, Midlands, Wales and Scotland.
The Scotland Manifesto calls for:
- Make the case for rail travel in the long-term, encouraging passengers back and a greater role for freight, as we recover from the Coronavirus pandemic.
- Continue to decarbonise the rail industry through electrification and fleet orders of low carbon rolling stock, in order to reach Scotland’s 2035 decarbonisation target.
- Continue to provide a visible and consistent pipeline of work for the rail industry, particularly as preparations for Control Period 7 are made.
- Support the rail industry to become more sustainable, increase skills and improve the diversity of its workforce.
- Ensure R&D and innovation as well as digital technology are at the heart of the government’s plans for the future of the rail industry in Scotland.