On 13 November, RIA launched its RAIL 2050 Manifesto, setting out the industry’s key asks as the UK heads towards a General Election. The Manifesto looks at how we can develop a long-term, sustainable rail industry over the next 30 years.
1. Development of a long term, 30-year strategy that promotes private investment;
2. The smoothing of 'boom and bust' in rail infrastructure and rolling stock investment, and improvement to the visibility of upcoming enhancement upgrade projects;
3. A better balance in the train fleet between new and upgraded trains;
4. Decarbonisation of the railway, through a rolling programme of electrification for intensively used lines and by using battery, hydrogen, bimode and trimode technology for other lines;
5. Digitalisation of the railway through deployment of modern digital signalling technology;
6. Commitment to major rail projects including HS2, TransPennine Route Upgrade, Northern Powerhouse Rail, East West Rail, Midlands Rail Hub and Crossrail 2, amongst others;
7. Government to work with the rail industry to set priorities for innovation and collaboration between rail organisations;
8. Government to consider the role of the rail industry as a key UK exporter, when developing new trade agreements.
Download the Manifesto
The Key Recommendations can be downloaded here