1 September 2020
The Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) committee has issued a sub-inquiry into the Industrial Strategy, as part of a wider inquiry into post-pandemic economic growth.
The Submission calls for:
- A 30-year plan for rail and funding certainty for devolved transport bodies will support certainty and visibility of upcoming work.
- Reducing ‘boom and bust’ in rail infrastructure work banks and rolling stock will give rail supply businesses the confidence to invest in skills and training, innovation and equipment. It will help manage costs and improve productivity.
- This will support the levelling up agenda creating opportunities across the UK.
- Rail is the transport mode with the lowest greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions in the UK, achieving full decarbonisation in rail can support significant emission reductions in other transport modes through modal shift.
- The Government should support electrification, hydrogen, batteries and digital rail now in order to meet air quality and zero carbon goals by 2050.
- RIA is working with the Rail Supply Group, and the Coronavirus Task Force “Act Now” initiatives to support the acceleration of the Rail Sector Deal to support the economic recovery and growth.